"What Stuck With You Today?" - The upscale exit ticket.

5/26/2015 07:00:00 PM

Let me first start by expressing how incredibly excited I am to be writing this post. It is by far my most asked about, most retweeted and favorited tweet. I have to brag for a minute and say that Erin Klien (@klienerin) even featured my "What Stuck With You?" in The Tweeted Times, an awesome day for me in which I basked in the glory of 5 minutes of Twitter fame! Anyhow, I truly hope that this post inspires at least one of you out there to try this or some iteration of it.

Reflection is a key piece of any lesson. Too often teachers rush through material in hopes of meeting a content deadline without pausing for a breath or taking a moment to consider student understanding of material. In room 309 our class either begins (after students have done a flipped lesson) or ends (on days when class is mostly direct instruction focused) with a "What Stuck With You?"

I saw a few elementary school versions of this on Pinterest.com, a goldmine of resources for teachers for those of you who have yet to discover it, and decided to tailor it to my classroom needs. Many high school classrooms lack color and pizazz, (among other things; cue adding 'Creative Learning Spaces' to my list of future blog posts regarding things I hope to someday accomplish in my classroom) which is part of the reason why I love our "What Stuck With You" wall. Every student, teacher, and administrator that walks into my classroom is immediately drawn to our colorful archive of knowledge and progress.  

Since the first week of school "What Stuck" has become an established routine in which students take out a Post It (included on their supply list at the beginning of the year) and write down their big takeaway from the day's lesson. This offers students the time to purposefully reflect on what pieces of the lesson they understood and what they might need clarification on. After students have completed their "What Stuck," I have them share aloud with each other and me before sticking the Post It on the board. The nature of this transparent reflection and kinesthetic learning experience has proven to be engaging and motivating for even the most reluctant of my special education students. 

 
As the year comes to a close I plan on using the Post Its to conduct a review game that will be similar to Jeopardy in which students will pluck a Post It from the board, give the 'answer' and then their classmates will create a question to go with it. In the spirit of reflection I find myself using the "Start, Stop, Continue" feedback model when assessing my approach to next year. "What Stuck" definitely falls under the 'continue' category. I hope that for many of you it'll be a 'start'! I would love to help or offer any advice for anyone interested in creating an iteration of this, so feel free to reach out to me to share ideas or questions.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nicely done! I like how you intend to circle back to use the take aways in a game. Let us know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! I like how you intend to circle back to use the take aways in a game. Let us know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images